Glass Fusing Basics 1 – Get Started with Tack Fusing! (Digital)
Glass Fusing Basics 1- Get Started with Tack Fusing! is where it all begins. This class is an introduction to fused glass and is a prerequisite for participating in our open studio time. During the class you will create a 7×7″ dish while you learn all about glass – how to cut, shape and lay up your glass to be fired; how to choose the kiln firing schedule to achieve the look you desire; and how the glass itself reacts to having fuse-temperature heat applied to it. All tools and supplies are provided. After having taken this class, you can return to participate in our Open Studio time or continue on to other classes at Fusions Glass Studio.
- Beginner level
- After having taken this class, you are eligible to participate in our Open Studio time
- Prerequisite for other classes at Fusions Glass Studio.
- 3 hours of live, in-person professional instruction.
- Learn about glass used for this awesome art form.
- Learn how to cut and shape glass.
- Learn how to lay up your glass for firing.
- Learn how to create different textures in the glass.
- Learn how to choose the kiln firing temperature to achieve the look you desire.
- Learn how the glass itself reacts to having fuse-temperature heat applied to it.
- Learn about potential problems and how to fix or mitigate them.
- An information packed, practical training that lays the foundation for more advanced techniques.
- Best suitable for beginners to advanced level users and who learn faster by demonstration and hands on experience.
- Course content designed by considering current glass fusing technology.
- Practical learning experience with a variety of samples to demonstrate the techniques.
- Save time, money and experimentation! –Our tips and tricks show you what can go wrong and how to avoid them.
- Make a 7X7″ dish from beginning to completed project.
- Lectures 16
- Quizzes 1
- Duration 3 hours
- Skill level Beginner
- Language English
- Students 0
- Assessments Yes
Welcome to the exciting art of glass fusing! This course is designed to provide background knowledge on fusing glass, some of the science behind working with glass, and provide the participant the skills and knowledge to be able to make tack fused projects on their own and to participate in open studio if desired.
What is Fused Glass?
Compare glass fusing to other glass art forms and learn about the unique qualities and possibilities with fused glass.
Fusible glass materials
Learn about the variety of glass products available for fused glass art creation.
Some properties of glass for fusing
Learn how the glass behaves in the kiln.
Learn about tack fuse projects and see examples.
Learn how to successfully build a tack fuse project and how to avoid common problems and mistakes.
Learn about different tools for cutting and shaping the glass, how to cut straight lines and strips and how to make shapes.
Learn firing schedules for 2 types of tack fuse projects and 2 slumping temperatures.